Monday 27 August 2012

Basil Pasta Bar Review

FN and I were looking for a convenient place to have lunch while in Yaletown and I remembered that I wanted to try Basil Pasta Bar for a while. So we headed off in search of a cheap and tasty lunch.

 When we got here, it looked like a very simple cafe where you order and look for a spot to sit. They then make your order and take it to your table when it is ready. The wallpaper was comprised of a variety of interesting pasta-related pictures so we decided to take a seat close to the wall. =P



They allow for customization of meat, vegetables, sauces, and pasta, and also combos with garlic bread or pop. However, since neither of us were quite adventurous that day, we stuck with their provided choices.


Spaghetti Carbonara
Although this originally came with spaghetti, FN wanted to change it for penne since she claims it is easier to eat. She thought her pasta was well made and very fresh but when I had a taste, I felt it was a little underseasoned, since I feel that spaghetti carbonara should be creamy, and smoky and salty for the bacon.
 

Pesto Shrimp Linguine
Because my pasta diet at home is generally limited to either tomato or cream based sauces, I decided to try the pesto since it sounded tasty. The pesto cream had a nice balanced flavor and wasn't too creamy or pungent with herbs. Surprisingly, the parmesan cheese was not the typical grated cheese sprinkled on top but was actual slices, which I felt greatly enhanced the overall flavor.

The portions here are very big and we were pretty full when we finished. Basil Pesto Bar is an affordable place to just grab a bite and I definitely will visit again to customize my own pasta.

Food: 3.5/5
Service: N/A
Cost: $

Basil Pasta Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment